Thursday 16 June 2016

Bridgend - update

I haven't yet had chance to properly revisit the areas where I previously saw Swifts in Bridgend, but heard today of a nest on Heronsbridge School from Mike and Emma Cram. Emma got talking to Julie Blackwell of Heronsbridge and it transpires they are looking for things to do towards their Platinum Eco award. The school is a traditional nesting location and this would surely be an ideal place for nest boxes. Heronsbridge is next door to Bridgend College, another known breeding location in the town.

Also today my memory was jogged to recall that Swifts used to nest on Oldcastle School, where my children went to primary school. I walked past there this evening and saw several Swifts screaming around the school, so it seems likely that the site is still active. In addition, my wife has been seeing Swifts around the railway station area on her way to catch her train for work, so I have recruited her on nest spotting duties!

I'll keep you posted on any further developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment